Call For Projects: FitNation Exhibition
This June the Center for Architecture will open FitNation, an exhibition on active design in the United States. The exhibition continues the discussion started by initiatives like New York City’s Active Design Guidelines, and the Fit City conference, now in its 8th year. FitNation will present active design—defined as environmental design that encourages stair climbing, walking, bicycling, transit use, active recreation, and healthful eating—at a range of scales. It will show how designers and architects in partnership with city and national governments encourage increased physical activity and greater attention to health through the built environment.
The exhibition will present years of research and professional dialogue to the public. Renderings, photographs, drawings, animations, and objects will demonstrate the many ways that design can encourage physical activity to combat obesity and chronic health problems. We are looking for the best examples of completed project that demonstrate active design, both in New York City and the greater United States, for inclusion in the show.
Please let us know if you have a project that incorporates the following in a focused, innovative manner:
• Stair climbing
• Transit use or other active methods of moving through an urban area
• Active recreation, exercise, sports
• Healthful eating and drinking
• Active adaptive reuse of an existing project, space, or architectural feature
• Retrofits that encourage more active use of an existing project
Please follow these submission procedures if you would like to have your projects considered for the exhibition:
• A PDF with up to five images and a brief description or bullets of key features as they relate to the themes above
• File size no larger than 5 MB
• Email submission to Juliana Barton, Exhibitions Coordinator(firstname.lastname@example.org) by February 22nd at 5 PM EST
Any questions, please contact Juliana Barton (email@example.com / 212-358-6120) or Berit Hoff, Acting Director of Exhibitions, (firstname.lastname@example.org / 212-358-6138).