The Cultural Facilities Committee is a forum to explore and exchange ideas and to meet the challenges of planning and designing cultural facilities. Our volunteer group seeks to engage and inform the profession, cultural institutions and the community.
Arthur M. Rosenblatt Memorial Lecture for Excellence in Museum Design
In 2006, the AIANY Cultural Facilities Committee developed an annual lecture series to honor the work and memory of their founding Committee chair, Arthur Rosenblatt. Among his many accomplishments, Mr. Rosenblatt was the Vice President for Architecture at the Metropolitan Museum of Art for 19 years during its period of great expansion, the founding Director of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, as well as a highly regarded Museum design consultant. He was an enthusiastic promoter of the architectural profession through his long involvement with the AIA, a generous friend to countless colleagues, and passionate about the role of art in our everyday lives.
The Arthur M. Rosenblatt Memorial Lecture is a highlight of Archtober, the AIANY’s annual month-long festival of architecture activities, programs and exhibitions held each October.
Past presenters -
- 2016 - David Chipperfield, RIBA
- 2015 - Moshe Safdie, FAIA, "Made to Measure"
- 2014 - Brad Cloepfil, AIA, Allied Works, "Amplifiers"
- 2013 – Ben van Berkel, (F)RIBA, Hon. FAIA, UNStudio, “Every Day Culture”
- 2012 – Craig Dykers, AIA, RIBA, Snohetta, “Being Alone Together: Managing the Museum as Mausoleum Syndrome”
- 2011 – David Adjaye, OBE, RIBA, Hon. AIA, “Evolving Art and Exhibition Spaces”
- 2010 – Richard Gluckman, FAIA, “Content Context = Concept”
- 2009 – Dr. Vishakha N. Desai, President, Asia Society, “The Role of Museums in 21st Century Asia”
- 2008 – Tod Williams / Billie Tsien, FAIA, “Museums Balance Unform Form”
- 2007 – Richard Meier, FAIA, “On Museums”
Return to list.